A leather sofa is a versatile piece of furniture that changes depending on the textiles and furniture around it. Leather sofas often become more comfortable over the years, but it is not the easiest to keep clean. Here is a guide on how to best clean your leather sofa.
Things you need for this
• Vacuum cleaner with vacuum cleaner brush
• Microfiber cloth
• Mild soap
• White vinegar – for severe stains
How to clean your leather sofa
1. Vacuum the pillows and couch surfaces. The best thing is if you have a vacuum cleaner with a vacuum cleaner brush. Make sure to vacuum all cushions and pillows on all sides. Also, do not forget to vacuum up armrests, backrests and other surfaces.
2. Wipe the sofa with a clean and dry microfiber cloth.
3. Check the sofa’s instructions to see the manufacturer’s specific cleaning recommendations. Sofas can be made of different types of leather, so some sofas may have special requirements. The manufacturer’s recommendations trump all general tips and advice, so follow the guidelines if available.
4. If there are no recommendations on how to clean the couch, you can take a damp cloth with mild soap. But, first try to dry on a small area of the couch and let it dry. This is to ensure that no damage or discoloration occurs. If the color changes, you can test another soap or skip soap completely and just wipe the couch with a damp cloth.
5. If there are stains on the couch that you do not remove with just soap and water, you can take the help of white vinegar. Mix equal parts white vinegar and water. Moisten a cloth with the mixture and gently scrub with the cloth on the stain with circular motions. Use a dry cloth to remove the extra moisture from the sofa after removing the stain.